Wednesday, April 15, 2009

And then we start a moshpit on the streets of Reykjavík!

Have you read the Vanity Fair article about Iceland? It's long, and the writer's tone is grating (the superior tourism paired with the "let me dumb this down for ignorant Americans" made my skin crawl) and the emphasis that Icelandic men are brutes straddled the line between offensive and ignorant until this part:

The best way to see any city is to walk it, but everywhere I walk Icelandic men plow into me without so much as a by-your-leave. Just for fun I march up and down the main shopping drag, playing chicken, to see if any Icelandic male would rather divert his stride than bang shoulders. Nope.

I have to have a little love for a writer who eschewed a cab for the full trip and admitted to playing chicken on the sidewalk. Michael Lewis, you wanna go to Target on a Saturday afternoon? You take every demographic but old people and the yoga ladies, and stand on my left side, I've only got one shoulder to work with.

I've always wanted to see Iceland, even though it's frigid and a little dark. I'll have to work on my drinking tolerance before I go, at the very least because one drink would do me in.

No comments: