Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Crosswalks

Note: Part of this post was posted a few minutes ago on Examiner.com (because it has different readers). But it feels appropriate here, too, and I felt like I could say more. Maybe.

Gothamist reports today that crosswalk signals in New York City are "freezing" showing both the cross signal (the white LED silhouette) and the DO NOT WALK signal (the red LED hand). The city centric blog reports that cold temperatures are forcing the signals to show both signs.

The post also says that the problem will bring on lawsuits but that's actually unlikely. I don't remember any signal when I crossed the street the night of my accident and the bottom line there (not that I was planning on a lawsuit) is that lawsuits are bad because accidents keep maintenance in line to fix broken technology. That's in my words. It's as ridiculous as it sounds, though. And (I hate to say this) it's not the city's fault that it's cold. However, I'd like to see the city step out and immediately fix the issue. Most of NYC's residents are CROSSING ITS STREETS.

Unfortunately, the further I got into DC for health care after the accident the more morons I ran into. The bottom line in DC is that everyone should be driving a car, and damn everyone who isn't. (Which is annoying because for the first time in my life I own a car.)

Has anyone noticed this problem in DC or its suburbs? Having had an excessive amount of time to obsess over crosswalk signals (or lack thereof) I worry about the results of bad crosswalk signals. Have you seen this problem? And whether or not: what do you think?

Is there a foolproof way to make a street safe to cross?

No comments: