Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cell phones make transit riders targets

Kind of a no brainer I guess? From Gothamist:
A few more details about subway robberies being slightly up in 2008 compared to 2007. Apparently a third of those subway thefts were for cell phones. WCBS 2 reports, "Police say the easiest marks are the riders near the doors. Thieves time it so that just as the doors are about to close, they make their grab and take off, leaving the victim trapped inside the train, and helpless to do anything about it." One rider was philosophical "You know if [my phone] gets stolen, I'd rather let it get stolen than get stabbed or something like that." And just last summer, a cop told the Daily News, "A kid taking out an iPhone and using it is like waving around $300."
Shootings and muggings on MTA (bus stops and light rail) seem to start from people asking to "borrow" the phone. (My strategy is to not use it much on transit, but that was eventually abandoned in favor of "catching up.") I always felt like more money could be gained from an iPod than my phone anyway... Anyway. The data. It's about phones.

No comments: