Thursday, November 13, 2008

Wet Leaves Ruin MTA's Life

WOW. That weather. Can we all agree now that November is just the worst month for weather in Maryland? Worse in terms of rain. It just rains and rains and rains, but no one wants to say Maryland has a rainy season. We do. It's just not as long (or green!) as Oregon. Sigh.

The rain continues to plague Baltimore's transit system, and MTA is going to hold an emergency meeting. From The Baltimore Sun:
More information will be available soon, because MTA officials plan to hold an "urgent" meeting this morning to address the problem, said Jawauna Greene, an MTA spokeswoman.

The administration had announced Monday that delays and service disruptions would occur this week, with shuttle buses and one-car trains in use while personnel make necessary repairs.
The article goes on to say that the passengers are waiting forever. I wonder how early one has to leave to get to work this week. I guess if I were riding I'd account for an extra hour? I usually allowed 90 minutes to get to work, for a 30 minute ride (and 15 minute drive at most).

I feel bad for MTA, who is suddenly (and strangely) under scrutiny this month. I wrote in my Examiner blog this week about road treatments in DC and Virginia. I wonder if the rails could be treated for slick leaves and snow? (Short of a boulder fence, there's no way to prevent a downed tree, right?)

No comments: