Friday, September 5, 2008

I need to change the radio station on my alarm clock. When it loud POP signaled the radio the weather report was starting: “Rain in the late morning, afternoon, and evening. The entire DC-area is currently under a flood watch.” Oh. RAIN. My work wardrobe doesn’t allow for rain, maybe I should drive instead…and with that I set my alarm for an hour later and braved the Friday rush hour… in the sunshine. Still, the announcement brought back cold wet feelings of hopelessness I experienced during my endless rainy days in college, willing the 8 to show up. If it would come now, I’d think, I’d be late but I’d be dry. Then a car would barrel through the streets, drenching me, soaking my clothes, and promising a wet and miserable class. Some days I packed extra clothes. I continue to believe that the streets of Baltimore are more harsh on a resilient raincoat than most.

 

This was the experience for Chicagoland high schoolers yesterday, The Chicago Sun-Times reports. A bus line delay, caused by a bus unable to complete its run, on the Addison line left students standing in rain throughout the city, likely despairing that if the bus comes in the next fifteen minutes math class will be a little less wet. One of the schools near the line reported an increase in tardies yesterday morning but overall city high schools noted that there have been an exceptional number of tardies all week as students adjust to the new school year. Luckily, the schools have been flexible (“forgiving”) to the bus delays and general lateness, which is more than I can say for my high school, who forced students late as the result of the county’s buses to sign in late when it was beyond their control.

 

CTA says it’s an adjustment for everyone with the increase in ridership (and its likely that there are more riders this fall with the increase from commuters who are switching as the result of astronomic gas prices) but that there are more buses on the 52 to accommodate for the influx in students.

 

Here’s to hoping the weather in the next few weeks is mild and without precipitation for Chicago’s high school student.

 

 

It’s nearing mid-morning and the sun is still shining. It might get cloudy later but it’s going to be warm and sunny all day, probably even at lunch when I want to sit outside in the sun and eat my leftover tacos and read a chapter in the book I’m slogging through. Thanks, 99.5, that’s the last time I choose you because you’re the only station I get in a slightly more rural part of Frederick County.

 

No comments: