Sunday, August 24, 2008

NEWS ROUND-UP

Because I post an excessive amount of news links I'm going to try and limit these posts to the weekend, with the exception of finds I just can't hold quietly. I'm trying to get to bed in the next three minutes so prepare for a link assault!

New York's CityRacks has a design competition to design clever bike racks. This is old to everyone but me but I'm still really fascinated (I'll try and touch on it next week) I hope DC will do this next.

The Bonnie and Clyde of graffiti was arrested this week. They're wanted in New York...and Europe...for destruction of...whatever. They've been accused of tagging subway cars, and it is illegal, but street art is the best enhance of my transit commute.

An empty bus crashed into an apartment building in Alexandria. The driver asked its passengers to exit the vehicle because the breaks were misbehaving. He was then forced to exit the vehicle before it careened down a hill.

A Ghost Bike was knocked down in New York. I'm bummed. I first found Ghost Bikes through Broken Bike/Contemporary Finds (here)

The Villager reports that New York governor David Paterson is considering assigning a special prosecutor to last month's incident wherein a NYC police officer attacked a cyclist during the city's monthly critical mass. Cyclist Christopher Long, a sales associate at a grocery store, is a U.S. veteran. The officer comes from a family of NYC cops.

"What I want to show is that there is support all across New York from a variety of groups to hold police accountable for their actions," Councilmember Rosie Mendez said.

Mendez held a meeting last month to discuss the incident. Paterson was arrested in 1999 with then-NAACP president Kweisis Mfume while protesting the police shooting and death of Amadou Diallo. He was charged with disorderly conduct for blocking the entrance to police headquarters. He was demanding the appointment of a special prosecutor to the case. (The officers were later absolved in the case.)

I am apparently not the only one unnerved by SmartBike's pairing with Clear Channel. The L.A. Times has an article about the new program. Apparently it's doing really well.

No comments: